Type: 1953 Piper Pacer PA 22/20
Serial Number: 22-1646
Registration Number: N3383A
Engine: Lycoming 0-320-B2B (160 HP)
Propeller: Sensenich, Fixed Pitch,
62", 74DM 6-0-62
Wing Span: 29.5 feet
Empty Weight: 1150 lbs.
Gross Weight: 2000 lbs.
Useful Load: 850 lbs.
Cruising Speed: 150 mph
Top Speed: 160 mph @ 2650 RPM
Landing Speed: 70-80 MPH
Restoration Time: 4200 hrs., 4.5 yrs.
Restoration Cost: $38,500
Awards: Over 50 National Championship Awards
Modifications From Stock: Over 95 FAA
NOT FOR SALE: Willed to the National Air and Space Museum,
A. FIREWALL FORWARD
- Brushed stainless steel firewall with die formed ribs.
- Brushed stainless steel baffling system w/silicon
rubber seals (to maximize engine cooling).
- Custom RAM air tube for vacuum pump cooling.
- Stainless steel muffler shroud.
- Machined vernier control
- Stainless steel alternator heat shield.
- Nose bowl reworked, with starter hole and oil cooler
- Fiberglass air scoop custom fitted to carburetor.
- Custom lower cowl NACA inlet, for cabin heating and
alternator RAM air. 337 Field Approval.
- RAM air hose for alternator cooling.
- Oil cooler installed on left rear baffle. 337 Field Approval.
- Installed adjustable oil cooler door for regulating oil
temperature. 337 Field Approval.
- Chromed aluminum crank case
- BN-2 chrome spinner-Aircraft Spruce Co.
- Hand polished, color coordinated, 74DM/62, pitch prop.
- Fuel sample tube installed on firewall.
- Custom telescoping/suction cup door restrainers.
- All hardware hand polished stainless steel, or chrome
plated, and unidirectionally installed.
- Custom alternator blast tube (front nose bowl inlet).
- Custom fuel flow meter and digital display. 337 Field Approval.
B. POWER PLANT
- TYPE: LYCOMING O-320-B2B 160HP O HOURS
- Nuchrome/Nickel cylinders.
- Oil filter
modification/Capehart Lifetime Oil Filter. STC
- Dry vacuum pump. Sigmatec
- 60 amp alternator - B&C Specialty Co., Newton, KS.
337 Field Approval.
- Lightweight starter. Weight saved-10 lbs. B & C
Specialty Co. STC'd and approved 337.
- Engine case: hand finished and color coordinated paint.
- All engine hardware chrome plated,
or polished stainless steel.
- Engine lubrication, Aeroshell-50 wt. with AVBLEND/ZMAX.
LIFTING SURFACES, and EMPENNAGES
- Custom N.A.C.A. vents installed in boot cowl, for upper
& lower cabin ventilation. 337 Field Approval.
- Top fuselage stringer lowered, and curved arc at tail
fin reworked, for aesthetic reasons.
- Two custom aluminum 33 gallon wing tank Total fuel 66
Gals. 337 Field Approval.
- Custom flush mounted vented, gas tank caps.
- Reworked landing/taxi light box. High polish stainless
steel baffles to augment reflectivity.
- 400,000 candle power landing lights, with custom formed
Lexan lens, and polished stainless steel bezel.
- Position lights/strobe moved to outboard bow and custom
faired. 337 Field Approval.
- Modified forward wing strut attach points, to receive
custom, quick release type tie down rings. 337 Field Approval.
- Cleveland Wheel and Disc Brakes. 337 Field Approvals.
- Custom chrome plated aluminum, front/rear, plunger type
passenger door stops and wing strut hardware.
- Polished stainless steel, passenger door, push button
- All door openings sealed with EDPM rubber Weatherseal.
- Macwyte streamlined, stainless
steel tail wires installed. 337 Field Approval.
- Tail wheel assy. chrome plated and modified with
stainless steel springs.
- Custom engraved cowl door latches.
- All control cable fairleads replaced with machined,
graphite impregnated, nylon (Nylatron).
- All fuselage fasteners polished stainless steel.
- All gaps between flaps and ailerons, stabilizer and
elevator, rudder and fuselage, narrowed from factory 3/4" to
3/16" for additional streamlining.
D. FAIRINGS and GAP
SEALS (all are custom and 337 Field Appovals.)
- Upper and lower aluminum flap gap seals (aluminum).
- Lower flap hinge fairings (fiberglass).
- Upper and lower telescoping aileron horn fairings
- Lower aileron hinge fairings (aluminum).
- Lower wing drain valve fairings (fiberglass).
- Wing root fairings with courtesy lights (aluminum).
- Leading edge of wing to windshield fairings (aluminum).
- Wing strut, to outer wing attach point, fairings
- Wing strut to fuselage fairings (fiberglass).
- Wheel strut to fuselage fairings (aluminum).
- Wheel strut to wheel pants fairings (fiberglass).
- Wheel pants with inner drag reduction baffles (fiberglass).
- Rudder cable fairings at lower aft fuselage
- Rudder to fin, elevator to stabilizer, spring loaded
gap seals (aluminum).
- Custom designed control surface gust wind locks.
E. COCKPIT and
- Custom instrument panel fabricated with lower
extension. Panel hand lettered with Chartpak
lettering system and sealed with satin polyurethane.
- Piper Seneca II control yokes installed with control
shaft modifications. 337 Field Approval.
- Vernier control knobs for throttle and mixture
functions. 337 Field Approval.
- Eyeball panel vents and lower interior swivel vents,
fed by fresh air through a custom plenum system. 337 Field Approval.
- Left and right rudder pedal assy., and hydraulic toe
brakes. Univair Corp. STC'd and approved 337.
- Naugahyde control column boot and
polished stainless steel floor bezel.
- Custom door pulls installed.
- Custom aluminum rudder cable covers. (Lower Kick
- Seats and side panels reworked:
- Three densities of
fireproof foam and lumbar supports. Weight saved-17 lbs.
- Fireproof crimson
velour and pearl naugahyde
embroidered emblems on seat backs.
- Personalized engraved
safety belt buckles.
- Polished stainless steel and painted pearl trim accents
- Floors and rear deck covered with foam backed carpet.
- Custom tan flannel headliner installed.
- Polished stainless steel, door jam, garment
- Cabin insulated with FAA approved, foil backed, sound
proof, fire resistant insulation.
- Under panel, noise reduction foam sheets installed.
- Luggage compartment matched to naugahyde and carpet material of cabin.
- Custom baggage door gas spring. 337 Field Approval.
- Custom mounting blocks for installation of Rosen sunvisors. 337 Field Approval.
- Custom kick panel, aluminum rudder cable covers.
- New window vent retainer slide for cabin air.
- New 12 volt, LR-2 alternator regulator. B & C
Specialty Co. STC'D
- Odyssey immobilized electrolyte 12 volt battery. Weight
saved-5 lbs. B & C Specialty Co. 337 Field Approval.
- New wiring installed consistent with MIL. SPEC
Standards. All ring terminals are crimped, soldered and heat shrink
- Installation of panel LED rocker switches.
- Panel illuminated by instrument post lights.
- All circuits protected by Potter Brumfield circuit breakers.
- Custom designed circuitry for low fuel warning
- Custom designed circuitry for total trip elapsed time
counter. Activated by an Astro Tech Chronometer.
- Pilot/Copilot push to talk switches on control yokes.
- Front and rear, four place intercom. Sigtronics, Inc.
- Door jamb switch for custom lighting in baggage
- PPG Deltron: base coat and
- Color fuselage/fairings:
- Base coat-White
Sandstone Pearl P.P.G. # 90695, 90696 (93 Nissan Maxima Code CHO).
- Accent coat-Crimson Red
P.P.G. # 4240 (90-94 Chev. Truck-Code WA9088).
- Stripe-Radiance Gold
Metallic P.P.G. # 25622
- High gloss finish: four
color sanding steps, two mechanical polishing steps, and two hand
- Engine Compartment Color-Signal Light Gray P.P.G. #
- Instrument Panel-Desert Beige P.P.G. #25282
- All standard PA 22 features, restored and in place.
- All surfaces that are subject to rubbing against one another, are separated by U.H.M.W. polyethene
tape to minimize friction.
- Custom turf tie down apparatus
and decorative braided line.
- Approximately 4200 HRS labor and over 100 modifications
were accomplished on this project.
- Approximate restoration cost, including purchase of
aircraft, was $38,500. Insurance AUA Inc., Greensboro, NC
modified: Tue May 27 20:41:01 CST 2014